Do you need help adjusting your content and social media ads to target different generations? When it comes to social media advertising best practices, one of the first suggestions most marketers receive is to get to know their audience. After all, if you don’t know who’s consuming your content, how are you supposed to tailor it to their needs and interests?
A great place to start when customizing your content to different audiences is understanding the average age of your customers. For example, if they’re in their 40s and 50s, they’ll have different interests than people in their late teens and 20s.
This guide features social media marketing tips to help you target different generations and reach customers in any age group, from Gen Z to Baby Boomers.
Members of Generation Z were born in 1997 or later. The oldest Gen Zers are turning 26 this year.
As the youngest generation on social media, these individuals have unique interests and preferences. Here are some suggestions for how you can market to them more effectively:
- Keep content short: Brevity is your friend when dealing with younger consumers.
- Use plenty of video content: Gen Zers have grown up with easy access to video content, and it’s the preferred media type for many members of this generation.
- Be authentic: Gen Zers like authenticity, such as behind-the-scenes content, candid interviews, and bloopers.
- Work with influencers: Many Gen Zers trust their favorite influencers’ product and service recommendations.
Remember that one of the main drivers for members of Gen Z is a search for truth.
They’re not afraid to do their own online research and cross-reference sources before deciding. It helps to prioritize transparency and directness when marketing to them.
Millennials were born between 1981 and 1996. The oldest Millennials are in their early forties now, meaning many of them will respond to entirely different marketing tactics than members of Gen Z.
The following tips can help you cater to Millennials more specifically when creating social media marketing content:
- Focus on mobile-first marketing: Millennials spend roughly 211 minutes per day on smartphones, compared to just 31 on desktops.
- Showcase brand values: Millennials like to support brands that stand for something, so don’t be afraid to share your values when marketing to them.
- Use visual content: Videos, photos, infographics, and other types of visual media will help you connect with Millennials more effectively than text-only posts.
Remember that Millennials also love incentives. Offer coupon codes, limited-time discounts, and other rewards on social media to encourage Millennials to support your brand.
Members of Generation X were born between 1965 and 1980. The oldest Gen Xers are in their late 50s.
If your target audience falls in this age range, these social media marketing tips can help you cater to them more effectively:
- Start with an acknowledgment: Many Gen Xers feel frustrated and forgotten by brands on social media. If you acknowledge them directly, you’ll already have their attention.
- Use nostalgia: Members of Gen X are very nostalgic — after all, they’ve lived through several dramatic changes in the world. Play on their love of the past with your current marketing content.
- Offer security and assurance: Gen Xers tend to be more concerned about safety, trustworthiness, and financial stability. In your social media marketing campaigns, include messages letting them know they can rely on your brand.
Prioritize mobile-first content when marketing to Gen Xers, too. They spend an average of three hours per day on their phones.
Baby Boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. The term comes from the massive increase in births that occurred after soldiers returned home from fighting in World War II.
Just 40 percent of Baby Boomers say social media is essential to their lives, but 73 percent say they use it to connect with friends and family. Fifty-three percent also admit to using it to kill time, meaning they’re not so different from younger generations.
To market better to Baby Boomers on social media, consider implementing these best practices:
- Avoid slang: Baby Boomers might not understand the slang used by younger generations, so don’t include it in your content.
- Focus on Facebook: Facebook is the most popular social media site among Baby Boomers.
- Include video captions: Most people watch Facebook videos without sound, but Baby Boomers, as an older generation, can use extra help when it comes to understanding the messaging and intent behind a marketing video.
Be sure to avoid potentially offensive terms, too, such as “old” or “elderly!”
Bonus Social Media Network Marketing Tips
Whether you’re using internet advertising and marketing to target different generations by connecting with members of Gen Z, Baby Boomers, or anyone in between, some rules apply across the board.
The following are best practices you can incorporate into any digital advertising strategy, regardless of the target audience’s average age.
The more regularly you share content, the better. Consistency creates more opportunities for people to become aware of your brand, develop trust, and consider checking it out.
Keep up with the latest social media trends, and incorporate them into your social media marketing content when it makes sense to do so.
Hire a Social Media Agency
Consider working with a social media content marketing service or company that offers digital advertising and marketing services. Check their social media portfolio to get a feel for their work, then reach out if they seem like a good fit for your brand.
Target Different Generations with Socialistics
When you start tailoring your organic and paid media advertising to different generations and specific social media audiences, you’ll likely see an increase in engagement and better outcomes.
Follow the guidelines discussed above so you can streamline your digital marketing solutions and maximize your results.
To see improvements even sooner, consider partnering with an online marketing firm or business-to-business online marketing agency. These organizations will connect you to a team of professionals who can help you set specific goals and create a strategy to achieve them.
If you’re looking for a marketing agency with social media expertise, Socialistics is here for you. Contact us today to turn your social media into tangible business results!